Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee is a great political leader and he inspired everyone with his great political knowledge. Atal Bihari Vajpayee has a vast knowledge of poetry, literature, and films even after he is a politician. He served the nation three times as the Prime Minister, first for a term of 13 days in 1996, for 13 months from 1998 to 1999, and then from 1999 to 2004.
Let’s take a look at this great man’s life and his achievements by years:
1. Atal Bihari Vajpayee was born in 1924 to Krishna Bihari and Krishna Devi in Gwalior. His father was a teacher. He did the graduation from Victoria College which is now named as Laxmi Bai College and had an MA degree in political science from Dayanand Anglo-Vedic College, Kanpur.
2. In 1930 when he was only 6 years old, joined RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh).
3. In 1942, he was taken into custody for 24 days during Quit India Moment and in 1952, he joined Jana Sangh.
4. Atal was being elected to Lok Sabha from Balrampur, Uttar Pradesh for the very first time in 1957. He also contested from two other seats first in Lucknow where he came second and from Mathura where he forfeited deposit.
5. In 1962 he elected to a six-year term in Rajya Sabha and sent behind the bars during Emergency in 1975.
6. In 1977 Jana Sangh merges with Janata Party and he was appointed as Foreign Minister in Janata Government.
7. In the year 1980, he became the founding president of BJP.
8. In his hometown, Gwalior Atal lost LokSabha Election by 2 lakh votes in 1984.
9. Again he re-elected to 10th Lok Sabha from Lucknow in 1991.
10. Atal was awarded by Padma Vibhushan in 1992.
11. Finally, in 1996 came the moment when Man of speeches- Atal became India’s Prime Minister for 13 days after completing four decades in the Opposition party.
12. And in March 1998 after two years he took the PM’s Oath of first NDA government.
13. Atal authorizes Pokhran-II test in May 1998.
14. When he was PM of India, he crossed the Wagah Border in Feb-1999 and traveled to Lahore to inaugurate the bus service started between India and Pakistan.
15. On 17 April 1999, he resigns after his Government loses trust motion by one vote which is narrowest in the history and he remains as the PM till fresh elections are held.
16. From May to June 1999, the operation Vijay launched under his watch to counter Pakistan Troops who commit the act of aggression in Kargil within 3 months of his Lahore visit.
17. In the year 2000, Atal Bihari Vajpayee undergoes the knee replacement surgery in October.
18. During Godhra riots in Gujrat 2002, Atal was criticized for failing to act decisively against Modi’s state government.
19. May 13, 2004, we witnessed his victory in Lucknow’s Lok Sabha seat which is his 10th Lok Sabha victory and 5th from Lucknow.
20. On 29 December, Atal took the retirement from the politics.
And finally, on Vajpayee’s 90th birthday Modi led the BJP’s govt as Good Governance Day. Writer and Poet Atal Bihari Vajpayee was honoured with Bharat Ratna.
Nobody can fill the place of Atal as he is a great politician and knows how to lead the country in his very own way which the biggest leader followed.